Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vegan










One of my friends told me that she read the book, The Kind Diet and she was feeling really great after changing the way she ate. She had always been a vegetarian and occasionally ate fish, but she decided to try being a vegan - cutting out dairy, eggs and eating a plant based diet. She said that she never had felt better. I was intrigued and bought the book. For some strange reason it really spoke to me. If you had told me six months ago that I would decide to give up meat, I would have told you that you were crazy. But I really liked the way she approached the different foods - meat, dairy and eggs and why they were bad for you for your health, the environment and the animals. I think the second two are perks, but my main interest was from the health perspective. I liked how she discussed that even if you were not ready to give up all of these things, how you could "flirt" with veganism by adding in good things into your diet and slowly taking out other things. So after our trip to Missouri, I came home and decided to give veganism a try. I mean I only live in one of the best cities to try being a vegan in. San Francisco is full of vegan/vegetarian options, so it is a great place to give this diet a try. I have been vegan three weeks and so far so good. I am not missing meat like I thought I would. I am having an issue with finding a cheese substitute. Most soy or rice milk cheeses have a similar taste to Velveeta and I was NEVER a fan of Velveeta. Carlos has been a pretty good sport and has been trying to eat a pescatarian diet. We are headed to France in May and I think that the dairy and egg free piece isn't going to work very well. I mean...how can you go to France and not eat cheese and chocolate!!!  I will probably also eat fish while we are there. 

The pictures above were taken by my friend, Cristina, who was kind brave enough to go to Cafe Gratitude with me to try out some raw food. We liked what we ordered, but unfortunately Landon was not a fan of the quesadilla that was made with cashew nut cheese.  

No comments: